You know that laugh.
You are silent, your eyes won't open. Tears are streaming down your face. You realize you're sobbing. You can't speak. The mirror shows this person who apparently has just smelled the most horrific smell ever. At least it looks that way.
I'm a "single" mom this weekend. And it's rainy.
This might have added to my delirium.
For whatever reason this morning my boys were cracking me up. And while I realize today I find their conversation/argument funny, I'm sure in a couple of years it won't be funny.
I sure hope not though.
Here's the skinny.
We're on the way to get lunch and both boys are in the back seat. We are headed out to get chicken nuggets because of this little nugget of conversation:
me: Boy 1, what would you like to have for lunch?
Boy 1: Well, it has to start with "ch" (the sound) or "p". There's only one answer for each. And they are 'chicken nuggets' "or 'pasta'."
Me: What about chips?
Boy 1: "NO. I said ch is for chicken nuggets."
I say "How about Chick'Fil-A?"
He says "no, made from home." (why he would want frozen nuggets is beyond me)
Boy 2 hears "Chick-Fil-A" and starts crying cause that's not what he wants. "I WAAANT nugggetssss."
I said screw it, we were leaving.
In the car Boy 2 is showing off his newfound counting skills:
"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10! YAY!!!!"
Boy 1, not to be outdone: You could count by tens you know, it's faster. 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100
Boy 2: NO! You didn't start with 1! See, 1,2,3,4,5...
Boy 1: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50...
Boy 2: I'M NOT DONE TALKING!!!! You didn't start with onnnnnnnne!!!
Boy 1: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100. See how fast that is?
Boy 2: NOOOOO. I'M TALKING NOT YOUUUUU. You didn't start with one!!! Mommy..... (sobbing) he hurt my feelinnnnngsss."
Me: laughter starts erupting. "Boys,"" *snigger* "you're both right. You can count lots of ways. You are both right." tears start falling.
Boy 1: Look how fast I can count to 20: 10 20!!!
Boy 2: (sobbing) you're not listening!! Momma!!!!!!
Boy 1: What the heck? He screamed at my face!!
Me: lose it. tears, I can't see, I'm swerving. Boy 1 catches on and he starts laughing too. Boy 2 is still pissed no one's listening to him. I can't talk to console either of them. I just try to keep driving.
Boy 2: I'm going to say more things. (begins with the ABC song)
Boy 1: That's a SONG not words!!!
Whew. I know from the outside looking in, that this probably isn't funny at all. It's rather silly. I laugh because I know that this is only the beginning. Today, we fight over how to count, in the future, who drives the car. Today we scream he's not listening, in the future, they'll simply punch each other's light's out. I laugh at the humble beginnings of brotherly love, and hate. I take joy in the realtionship that they have that I never had being an only child myself.
And I beg that my husband's plane lands on time tomorrow or there won't be tears of laughter.
Jus' sayin.'
Ooohhh...my Friday night was close to that!!
ReplyDeleteExcept with 11 & 12 year old nieces. Who are kinda getting hormonal and all emotional-y.
You listened to fights over counting, and I listened to fights over radio stations.
BOOOO to both!