I have always been a working mom. When we had our first son, there really wasn't any way that I could stay home. So, we found a sitter, whom I loved AND was reasonable, and I packed my happy ass up and went back to teaching.
It was hard at first, but we fell into a rhythm. Being a first time mom, I was a sleep nazi, stuck to routine, routine, routine. And Boy 1 really needed that.
There were moments I was exhausted. Ok, lots of them. With a husband who travels, that was part of the deal. He left me for four days when he was 2 weeks old. I think he found me sucking my thumb and rocking in a corner after that. He didn't do that again... for a while at least.
There were moments that I cried. That early evening nap was the worst. I'd get him home at 4:30, he'd nap til 5:45. We'd eat and he'd be in bed at 6:30. I was literally missing everything. I would cry as I watched hin sleep.
But those moments were fleeting. They didn't take long, at least they didn't in retrospect.
There came a moment where Hubby thought I could stay home. I thought about it. And then got REALLY nervous. My heart started to race. My palms were sweaty.
What would that look like???
I had no idea. My mom was a working mom too. I had no reference point.
I said I would think about it.
I did think about it. And then decided I would go find a part time job at a preschool, so Boy 1 could go too. And I would have something to do.
Well, long story short, that ended up in my becoming a preschool and day care director.
I guess I wasn't really interested in staying at home.
So now, three years back into teaching, and two years of day care later, I'm still working.
Because I want to. I don't have to, really. But I NEED to.
I'm a better mother because I work.
There. I said it.
I'm not stay at home material friends. I'm not made to have a carefree schedule. When I don't, I'm a slug and don't get out of jammies for week. I park my shiny hiny on the couch, watch tv and do nothing. "I'll do it later, cause I have all this time."
yeah right.
You might say I put the "pro" in procrastination. But it's true, I become a lifeless blob with no patience and no desire to do much. I don't enjoy crafts. I'm not a baker. There's only so much kids tv I can handle before I start talking like I'm 5. I say I'll go to the library, but I don't. I do actually go to McD's. I know, that's gross.
It's not pretty.
But when I work, I'm better. I'm good.
I have to prioritize my time. I have to plan ahead. I have to make sure all appointments are made. I make sure everything is ready the night before. I'm able to juggle twelve things at once. I even manage those "single" weeks fairly well. We are a well oiled machine in the mornings and after school.
It works for me. And for my kids. And for my husband. And I don't feel guilty.
I had SO many people ask my why I came back. I was embarassed to tell them I needed to, not finacially, but mentally. I mean, who wouldn't want to be with their own kids????
God bless those mommas who do this everyday and love it. I'm kinda jealous of that. But I also know that they might be jealous of me since I get to excape things every day for just a bit.
So, I'm gonna call it even. I'll work, they won't.
And we'll all be happy.
Not having kids and looking in from the outside, I've said SOOO many times how much I admire moms.
ReplyDeleteAnd I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Whether you work outside or work at home, your job is much more demanding than any job I'll ever know.
Taking care of me is hard enough...I really admire the moms out there that do it and make it seem effortless.
Parenting is hard on both sides. At the end of the day, if momma's not happy....no one is happy!
ReplyDeleteI like staying at home but I get that it isn't for everyone. It doesn't make me a better mother.