The Boys

The Boys
Boy 1 and Boy 2

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chilly Weather = Chili for dinner!

We've had an unseasonably warm year around here.  I mean, it's barely been jacket weather until about a week ago.  (don't know about you, but it's hard to get in the spirit of the holidays when it's 70 degrees outside.)  Anyway, we did get a cool snap last week, so automatically I think of every comfort and fattening food I know how to make and try to make it in three days. 

Going through my recipes, I found this chili recipe that is AMAZING.  It makes so much, but yet, I never have that much left.  huh.

Anyhoo, it's supposed to be based on the Eskimo Joe's Chili recipe.  It was given to me about 10 years ago from my mom, and it's a fall and winter staple around here.  I hope you enjoy!

*the recipe as it's listed is VERY spicy.  At the end I'll post my changes so that even the littlest boys can eat it :)

Eskimo Joe's World Famous Chili

Ingredients

3 lbs. of lean hamburger meat
2 small cans of green chilies
1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes and peppers)
1 can kidney beans - rinsed and drained
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
3/4 cup of chopped green peppers
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 T chili powder
1 T Lowery's Season Salt
1 T cumin
2 tsp. oregano
1 T black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups of water

Directions

Brown the meat in a skillet.  In a large pot, add the other ingredients and stir thourougly.  After meat if browned, add to pot and simmer as long as you like.  I like to let it simmer at least 30 minutes.

*For those who aren't friends of spicy heat:
Last night when I made it I didn't add any green chilis, I used a mild can of Rotel and no cayenne.  It still had excellent flavor and even Boy 1, 6, ate it up!  I also add elbow mac and an extra can of red beans.  :)

And then for lunch today:  I took a cue from Sonic and made a Frito chili pie wrap.  I put some chili, Fritos and cheddar cheese and wrapped it in a tortilla.  YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment